Thursday, September 9, 2010

God's Glory

Check out the story and click on the video link below for a amazing story, such a inspiration! Brock's Mom is my Mom's long time High School friend so following the story from back when it all began and seeing this family come from tragedy to triumph has been truly amazing!


We've waited all spring and summer for this. The first weekend of college football, but that wait is nothing compared to what Brock Mealer has gone through with his friends inside the Michigan football program.
This long, tough journey started on Christmas Eve 2007 at a rural Fulton County intersection. A 90 year old driver missed the stop sign and life hasn't been the same since for Brock or his brother, Wolverine offensive lineman Elliott Mealer.
A memorial rests near the road, honoring their father, David, who died in the crash, as well as Elliott's high school sweetheart Hollis Reeker. "For me, being on this team has helped me. My brother is here, and that's helped me get through it," says Elliot.
Moments after the accident, Elliott tried to free his brother by lifting the car. Elliott unsuccessfully tore his rotator cuff. Brock's spinal cord was in the shape of an "S" with two shattered vertebrae, left with almost no hope to walk. "They always just wanted me to accept that fact instead of being in denial that I'd walk again," says Brock.
Just two and a half years later, Brock is on his feet replaying that conversation over and over again. Brock says, "She said at this point we can most likely tell you that most likely you'll never walk again& I saw her in March and she told me, 'Well I guess you're part of that one percent that make a recovery.' She was pleasant, surprised, and shocked at what I was doing, just movement in my legs and everything."
He's made it this far with a big push from the strength and conditioning staff at Michigan. For almost a year now Brock has worked out with the same coaches in the same weight room as the Wolverines. Elliott says, "I think what he's done is amazing. But the idea that he has taking this head on, it's been amazing thing."
Brock says, "I relate it a lot to practices and weight lifting. It's all about focusing and pushing your body past that point where it can do it anymore, just telling your body you can and keep pushing."
In our short 15 minute walk, Brock was dripping in sweat. This is no easy task. Brock explains, "I have about 200 things to think about as I'm walking, which I guess is good instead of walking. However, I have to think about techniques and specifically keep my knees bent a little each step so they're not just straight and find my center of balance. Half the time my limitations are just how much my mind can think about."
Thirty-three months ago, Brock couldn't convince one doctor he'd walk again, but with the help of Coach Rodriguez he's ready to make 100,000 believers. Rodriguez says, "He dedicated his life to prove he can walk again and to be able to do that in front of our fans and national TV is going to be quite emotional. It's going to be inspirational, already has been for our teams."



Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks For Commenting!